Wednesday, September 21, 2016

TWIC: Alaska, Grant Snider, Bill Waterson, Nano prep,

Should you write in a specific place and work like a professional (in an office) or vary your routine. K.M. Weiland recently traveled to Alaska and wrote outside and enjoyed both.
Something I’ve been reminded of this summer is the importance of new perspectives for writers. It can be so easy to get stuck in a routine, writing at our desks eight to ten hours of the day, walking the same route on our morning workouts, looking out the same window at the same time every day.
This is probably a third of her total post on the subject so I don't want to excerpt more. All I can say is, Wow, 8-10 hours!
---
Snider on Writing. As always, this is only a chunk of his drawing and it has been shrunk.

I bought two of his drawings for Christmas -one for my sister and one for me.  They were both sent to my sister and she liked them so much she kept both. I may have to the same one again!
---
Calvin and Hobbes: Art before Commerce (6:21 video)


----
David Lynch: ""Ideas are like fish. You don't make the fish, you catch the fish."" (2:34 Video)
---
How do you organize yourself to write a novel? Quora has some answers. Here is an exceprt from Christopher Knox:
The Draft
Me: "How is your novel coming?"
Her: "Not bad. I just started the second draft."
Stop right there. 
I'm about to ask this writer specifically what she means by this and, if she's like most writers I know, I'm going to have to inform her that she's mistaken. I suspect that she means that she's begun the process of doing massive edits to her manuscript, perhaps deleting scenes and rewriting them, polishing passages and going over her grammar and spelling. These activities are not part of the second draft of a novel.
 The second draft is where you throw your first draft in the garbage and start over from scratch.
One thing I will do is try to visit Dice Latte in Seoul for a Nanowrimo planning party.
---
I don't know anything about secret wood resin rings, but the process looks neat.
If I want to keep up with my wood work, I will need to sharpen my gouges.
---

No comments: