Thursday, April 19, 2012

in praise of textbook errors


Somewhere I have a folder of image of strange errors I have found in ESL textbooks.  I am not complaining...much, anyway.  I like having a variety of errors.  As wide a variety as possible, in fact.

Purely as an ESL teacher, I like to have the occasional error regarding spelling or grammar, but I also like those involving math or common sense.
Take this one (click to embiggen):



I think that there is an error jumps out at you, but it took some effort on my part to describe the error.  I eventually made a matrix:



The error below is more subtle.  Perhaps in fact, there is no error, but one part seems strange to me.  To save you some time, I have underlined half of the problem.



.
.
.
.
.
If you had trouble finding the problem, go to the image below.
.
.

A quick online search confirms what I had previously thought; 'Cafe'' is in the name, but I would describe the place as more of a restaurant.  What restaurant lets its employees take a lunch break at lunch time?  What employee would want to skip out on the tips (well, tips wouldn't matter in Korea but the custom doesn't exist)?

Errors that are not about spelling, grammar or the like provide a chance for weaker ESL students to shine.  If a student has a restaurant job, perhaps this example will be one she can relate to and remark upon before a student with stronger English skills.

I don't think I have the self-confidence to deliberately add errors to the materials I give students, there are likely a few already included.  I grumble about the errors in the books I use at my university, but I do enjoy the opportunity they provide.

No comments: